This week I keep getting the question, “How are you?” or “You doing ok with this?” And the answer is YES!! I am grateful to have another birthday, and while aging isn’t always delightful it sure beats the alternative. Each year on my birthday, I spend some time reflecting on the past year. I like a fresh start, new beginning, clean slate and my birthday usually ushers in the good, the bad and the ugly from the past year. In honor of the big 4-0, I have spent the morning reflecting and came up with a few truths, and a few fun facts I’ve learned this year.
1. God is faithful. Even in trying circumstances, even in disappointment and confusion, He is there. He’s the Beginning and the End. He’s never surprised, conflicted or confused, and that is very comforting to me.
2. It’s not fun having a hysterectomy and then a few weeks later your hubs has major knee surgery. We’re older and physically falling apart but we still get each other. Even in the midst of trying circumstances, I choose him. And you should know I’m a terrible nurse, and have little compassion for him when he’s sick so maybe I should say…he still puts up with me??!! Either way, we’re in this thing together and we make a great team. Oh and I’m so grateful for his humor. Sarcasm makes everything better.
3. My friends are amazing. They are consistent and authentic. I have a wonderful support group that I did not have growing up which is FANTASTIC! It is honestly refreshing to be prayed over, humbled, pushed and content with my friendships, and I’m not afraid to start new ones!
4. I am way over caring about what others have, what others think about me, my clothes, weight and trying to impress or justify. I am thankfully over the need to pretend, and not be myself. Some will tell you I am too much myself, and could use a little more editing. I’m an open book and you will always get an honest answer from me. This year I’ll be working on giving those “honest answers” with a tad more grace.
5. I love a good par-tay! I love planning it and searching for ideas and letting the creative juices flow. I am grateful to work with my sisters and really proud of Purdy Girl Parties.
6. I have learned to say no. This has never been a strength of mine. I feel like I let others down, or feel guilted into doing things or whatever. But this year I did it a lot and you know what, the world kept right on going. Like Jen Hatmaker said, “No is a complete sentence.” I need to celebrate this one. I am putting my family higher on the list and seeing the rewards!
7. My children are huge. I was staring at Ryan this week thinking I cannot believe how big he is. Ally and Brady too. They are incredible people and I am honored to be their mommy. I still struggle with age 3 but 4 is coming…AMEN!!
8. I love a good deal. Target is still my home and I get sucked in almost every week. Also, what did I do before Amazon Prime. Seriously I can’t remember. I’m 40.
9. I am not in control. This is something that I would say I knew but really didn’t believe. I have learned several lessons this year in trusting the Lord with everything, including my family. I was finally convinced that I am not in control. Scary, and freeing at the same time.
10. I am not, nor will I ever be, a morning person. For years I tried to fit into the mold of one, but it’s not me. I look forward to my coffee every morning and my brain is foggy until about 10:00 each and every day. I know all you early risers don’t get us and that’s ok but remember: night owls are people too.
I have learned so much more but 10 seems like a good number to stop on. 40 is gonna rock!
Here are some pics from a very fun party my sweet sisters hosted for me. Thank you to all our friends who joined in celebrating 40! It was fantastic and I feel extremely loved.